Saturday, October 29, 2011

An Open Letter...

To all high school Athletic Directors and Business Office workers,

Hi. How's the first season of your school year going? Hopefully well.

Let me start by apologizing. I realize that having 3 different addresses over the course of 5 school years is probably a little bit on the high side. I suppose that most of your sports officials are older people with stable lives and a constant home address, making me a bit of an anomaly.

With that being said, please believe me when I tell you that I am very sure of my home address, and I am confident that when I write it down, it is correct. There is no reason that you need to call me to confirm that the previously mentioned address is, in fact, my address. As I may have mentioned, I was the one who wrote it down. You can make the assumption that the address I wrote is the address I would prefer my checks to be delivered to.

What makes this whole endeavor especially frustrating is that I have taken steps to try to avoid this kind of nonsense. I have spent my entire life developing my penmanship to be easily legible to anyone with a basic amount of literacy. I also have even written "new address" next to my new address so that whoever looks at it will, hopefully, realize that it's a new address.

I would guess that the probability of another official matching my appearance AND having the same name AND officiating in western Mass is fairly low, if not zero. I also doubt that this mysterious twin of mine is out there officiating in my name and trying to steal my money.

As such, I am pleading with you: please send my checks to the address I give you. I promise you that this will not result in any issues.

Also, stop making me fill out new W-9 forms every year. Just because I've moved does not make me a new person. I didn't have to fill out a new tax form every year when I was a teacher, or a math tutor, or a professional craftsman (i.e. urn-maker0, or an ice cream scooping guy, so I shouldn't have to as an official.

Thanks!

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment