Saturday, January 9, 2010

Tekken 6 is. . .

wicked awesome with other people, and pretty lame without them.

I have been a huge fan of the Tekken series since I first played Tekken 3 whenever it was released (see, this is what I mean about the lack of research). So it was pretty much a given that I was going to be getting this when it came out. (Discounted on Amazon with free shipping and no tax. Score). I am pretty glad that I did. Except that playing against the computer is lame. The AI is ridiculous and varies from borderline brain damaged to super cheap without any kind of warning. At least there is online play.

Against other people the game is great. I have played my brothers, my roommate, my brothers' friends, etc. It's like a completely different game. Take everything bad about playing the computer and reverse it, and that's what playing against an actual person is like. Even online with it's lag issues is an improvement over the computer.

(To be fair, the lag issue may be my fault for insisting on playing with a wireless connection instead of running an ethernet cable to the PS3. I have heard that a wired connection improves this problem, but that just isn't going to happen.)

Pros
-Playing with other people is awesome
-The characters seem pretty balanced, apart from my long-standing issues with hating Eddy Gordo/Christie Monteiro
-It's Tekken, which makes it pretty much awesome by default.

Cons
-Load times are ridiculously long. Before the game loads, before every match, after picking a character, you do a lot of waiting. Solution: have your DS handy with a nice turn-based game loaded
-Lag online
-Scenario Campaign is much more annoying than Tekken Force, and it's required if you want to put your characters into ridiculous outfits

Conclusion
If you like fighting games, you pretty much have to get this one. Not having it is the equivalent of calling yourself a fan of The Big Lebowski without knowing Jesus' last name.


-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment