Saturday, December 18, 2010

Madden '11 - A Thorough Breakdown

I haven't played any of the Madden games in a long time for a variety of reasons. I suck at them, the play calling is absolutely baffling to me, I am terrible at them, and they aren't fun due to my high level of sucktitude. But other people in my family like them, so I get to see them in action. Which means that I can criticize them! Let's look at this year's game together, shall we?

Major problem #1 - One of the announcers in this game is Cris Collinsworth. It isn't enough that I have to put up with his nonsense all year during one primetime game every week, but now I have to listen to him during my free time? That is just not cool. Also, every game he claims that each quarterback "can throw as hard as anybody in the league." There has to be some difference between quarterbacks' armstrength. Especially if one of those quarterbacks is Chad "20-yard Hail Mary" Pennington.

Major problem #2 - The wide receivers on your team act like they have no fingers and their hands are completely coated in butter when you play on All-Madden. There is no way Calvin Johnson drops this many passes in a real season. Surprisingly, the computer teams have no such problems. Wait, that's not surprising; it's more computer AI cheating bullshit, which has been present at least since RC Pro-Am back on the NES. Fuck that yellow car.

Minor problem #1 - Speaking of Calvin Johnson, I understand that his full name is "Calvin Johnson Jr.," but he is never referred to as such. Go look at his jersey. As a matter of fact, I'll find it for you since I know how valuable your time is. Does it say "Johnson Jr." on the back of any of them? Definitely not, at least for the first several pages. That means it's really weird that Madden refers to him as Johnson Jr.

Minor problem #2 - I have rarely seen punt coverage players get right in the punt returner's face when he is trying to field a punt, but it happens on every single punt in this game when you don't pick the "punt block" formation. That punt target circle is going to have the returner and at least 2 blockers every punt. For a game that prides itself on realism, this is not acceptable. Strangely, on kickoffs the blockers come back toward the returner and then turn and block without getting in his grill. You know, sort of like real football.

Major problem #3 - The computer cheats. You can throw on 5 straight plays, and then when you call a running play, not only do they have a great run defense called, they also have the defense overloaded exactly at the place where the run is designed to go. That's even worse than screen-watching back in Goldeneye, because at least you could hit your friends for being sneaky bastards. What can you do to a computer opponent to punish them for these transgressions? They don't feel pain or embarrassment, so punching them in the nuts is pointless. And also they don't have nuts. Very unfair.

Well, that about covers my first few reactions to this game. If I come up with anything else, I'l just add it in here and repost this later.

-Jon

1 comment:

  1. I used to hate playing Madden with ex mmmmopinion writer Matt. He used to just roll out with Daunte Culpepper and throw it to Randy Moss and he would catch it every time.

    ReplyDelete