Sunday, January 2, 2011

Fantasy Football Final Wrap-up

After a promising 5th-place position at 6-5 with 3 games to go, Final Fantasy Football went on an epic streak to finish. . . dead last. Five consecutive losses will do that to a team. I'm talking about the kind of collapse you would expect from the Yankees in the 2004 ALCS. No matter what my team did, it wasn't enough. Luckily, I've learned some things that can be applied to future attempts at Fantasy Football success.
  • No matter which tight end I use, the one on my bench is going to have a better game. To overcome this next year, there will be at most 1 TE on my roster at any given time. Occasionally, I may even leave that position empty. That way when I get zero points, I'll at least be expecting it.
  • Dwayne Bowe is a jerk. How can a player have 0 points one week and 48 the next? That's some bullshit.
  • If the league is PPR, it's probably more important to have running backs that are guaranteed to be getting a few screen passes every game. Those points add up, mostly for my opponent.
  • If a player is on my team, they are going to have at least 4 awful games. I apologize to anyone else who had Chris Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Ryan Grant, Tony Gonzalez, DeSean Jackson and the rest of my roster. Except Drew Brees, who was fairly consistent and awesome, and probably the only redeeming thing about my draft. Go me.
  • Don't pick up RBs who are in a tandem system. Shonn Green consistently killed any production that Tomlinson might have put up by stealing his precious carries. And also the Jets feel the need to only run Tomlinson directly into whichever area of the field has the most defensive players.
  • Average players will have career days when they are on my opponents' rosters. Thanks a lot, Rob Gronkowski.
Using this information, I am shooting for a major improvement next year. Like, 2nd to last instead of last. Baby steps. You may want to wait until after I've done my draft next season so that you'll know who not to take.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment