Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Here Comes a New Challenger!!

Yup, I've used this title before, just not on this blog. I just feel like any time I can work a Street Fighter II reference into the conversation, I am doing it. Remember when I wrote about those burritos back in March? There's another one to throw into the mix.

Here's a quick rundown of the Spicy BBQ Chicken Burrito at Mesa Verde, along with where it would probably have ranked if I had eaten it several months ago. You'll probably have to reread that one (or read it for the first time if you're a jerk and haven't seen it already) for this one to be completely coherent. Actually, that still might not help.

Meat Volume
This burrito seems like it would be tied with Qdoba's effort. There was a lot of chicken, but there just wasn't nearly as much as I had in that Bueno burrito. For some reason, I still ended up feeling more full that I should have based on the amount of chicken in there. Touché, Mesa Verde.

BBQ Sauce
Mesa would be in second here. Their sauce is really good, it just doesn't compare to what Qdoba is putting on the table. I guess there is something to be said for giant corporations with all sorts of money to waste on perfecting their sauces. Mesa Verde has got the spiciness factor down cold though. If you go there and they ask if you want your burrito spicy, definitely say yes.

Rice
Eh. There wasn't really anything special going on with the rice here. It really wasn't the main focus at all. The majority of the burrito was chicken, cheese and beans, and really, that's the way it should be. Rice is pretty much just filler when you stop and think about it. Stupid rice.

Burrito Size
It's hard to remember, but I think that Mesa Verde had the smallest of the burritos. That makes how full am I feel even stranger. What kind of shenanigans are they pulling over there? The best comparison would probably be that the Qdoba and Mesa burritos are about the size of Kathryn's normal-sized head (Qdoba is slightly larger, but almost a negligible amount) while the Bueno version is more like my comically oversized head. Seriously, try buying me a hat.

Restaurant Proximity
This is a tough one here. If I am at Kathryn's house, then Mesa Verde wins by a mile. Well, actually it wins by several miles. The place is like a mile from her house. If I am at my own house... well, I am probably not getting a burrito. Which is really sad considering I continually forget that there is a Bueno within a 10 minute drive of my house. One of these days, I've got to get a CT scan to figure out why such important information does not remain in my brain.

Where would I rank the Mesa Verde burrito? Probably a very close second to the Bueno one. I think that this topic needs more research, which will obviously require more burrito consumption. Is Mmmm, Burritos possibly in the works? I guess you'll just have to wait and see.*

-Jon

*The wait's over. It's not happening. How many burritos a month do you think I eat?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment