Wednesday, April 21, 2010

New Super Mario Bros. Wii is. . .

great as a single-player game, and possibly greater as a multi-player game. However, that second part is debatable depending on what you are trying to accomplish. If you want to just have a good time, then it's great. If, on the other hand, you are trying to actually beat the game and collect all the star coins, then having multiple people is probably going to drag you down.

In my experience thus far, the people I have played with fall into the following categories:
Competent - People who actually can get through the levels. Playing with competent people is probably the most enjoyable but least likely experience you'll have.

Screen-draggers - These people try to run through the level as fast as possible, which means they frequently die to unseen enemies and pits, and also kill you over and over because you get pulled along the screen and into things without warning. Easily the most annoying group.

Team killers - They are just there to try to kill their teammates. Throw someone into a pit, kick a turtle shell at them, butt-stomp them off a platform, carry them into a Thwomp. . . the possibilities are endless. I often find myself having to team kill after someone on my team starts acting up. Like the time Alex and I had to kill off his cousin because he kept pushing us off edges. Or the first time I ever played when my brothers and I all teamed up on Melissa for being. . . Melissa.

Excessive A-pushers - In multi-player, pushing A will put you into a protective bubble and float you safely back to your team. This is pretty cool, because it will usually mean that as long as you have one decent player, you will make it through the levels. However, if that person dies and you have one of these people playing, your level is over. These people hit the A button under the most ridiculous circumstances. Short jump? Hit it! Goomba coming? Hit it! "Alec, do NOT hit the A button until I float back!!" Hit it! The problem is that if everyone is inside a bubble, the level ends and you fail. These people need to relax.

Grinders - These people try really hard, but they just aren't that good. Hey, as long as they aren't team killing, I'm ok with it.

A lot of the reviews for this game complained that even though it was a good game, it didn't really do anything new. Well, that's just stupid. How many Mario games have there been? I am not sure, but they have all been pretty sweet. Including this one. Anyone who complains that a game isn't new enough is stupid. Also, isn't the helicopter hat new? That is one sweet power-up.

I enjoyed this game a lot. There are a whole slew of crazy levels without much repetition, and each level has 3 star coins that are often tricky to get for replayability. Then you unlock World 9, which is clearly designed to fuck with you. That place is just hard. But when you finish getting everything and the game gives you that 5-star rating, you feel like you really accomplished something.

My only disappointment is that there wasn't a secret final boss after world 9. Oh well, that is a very minor drawback.

Final verdict? I am very glad I got this game. Well, I guess technically I am very glad Kathryn got me this game. Thanks, Kathryn!

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment