Thursday, April 29, 2010

Old School vs. Nu Skool Part II: This Time It's Biblical

In a post that shattered the MMMM Opinion record for comments, (TWO!! TWO COMMENTS) it appears that Slick's return to the blog was quite popular. I also got an email referring to my post so the word got around. However, the two comments were from my dad and Jon and the email was from Chris so . . . ummm . . . yeah. Nevertheless, if I can bring a smile to my family isn't it all worth it?

Checking in on my arbitrary categories and scoring system I believe I had Old School taking Difficulty and Lasting Appeal while Nu Skool took Visuals despite the fact I mentioned nothing about graphics. I'll have to check with our resident math teacher but I believe that puts the score at 2-1. These scores account for .5% of the final verdict so the game is still completely wide open. Everyone knows that the bikini contest is where the crown is won or lost. ON WITH THE OPINIONS!

Likelihood of Being Pissed Off
A similar category to degree of difficulty, this one is slightly different because you probably don't wont to win it. Because I hate being pissed off. And MLB 2009 The Show, I'm talking specifically about you. I have no problem with games being challenging. I mentioned yesterday that I enjoyed playing the Megaman games, but while they're challenging there's nothing too cheap about them. That's why you feel great when you beat them. When I play MLB 2009 The Show I need to control myself so I don't whip my controller across the room a la my Archangel action figure I had when I was 6. Turns out those wings didn't make him fly. But if I aim a fastball down and in and then execute the pitch meter perfectly, there's no way Josh Hamilton should be able to crush a 3 run homerun that travels like 480 feet. That's absolute bullshit. So while I was annoyed when I spent 20 minutes trying to defeat Quickman, I was annoyed at myself because I was being stupid. When Tim Lincecum gives up his 4th home run of the game even though I'm doing everything right, that's his fucking fault. Also, how is it that the outfielders get to every fucking fly ball unless it's a homerun? It's the rookie level. It shouldn't be this hard.

Advantage: Old Skool. But that's based solely on the fact that I currently hate The Show.

Quality Game Percentage
This category goes to the system with the higher likelihood of having a good game were I to pick a game at random. Hypothetically speaking. If you went to either of those websites I gave you yesterday, you'll see that there's probably a thousand nintendo games . . . most of which are absolutely terrible. On the other hand, the PS3 turns out its fair share of shit, including, and I'm not making this up, Hannah Montana: the Movie: the Game. I can only assume that it's just awful. So while there are still crapfests out there, I would have to think that nothing is as terrible as the oft mentioned blog favorite: Milon's Secret Castle. Most games that come out now have to be at least playable right?

Advantage: Nu Skool?

Music/Sound Effects
The music from the Megaman games and Chrono Trigger and Final Fantasy will always be classics and I'm shocked at what they were able to do with limited sounds and technology, especially on the NES. It's a weird combination of really high pitched noises, and if you've ever played one of these games you know what I'm talking about even though I sound like a fucktard. (Brief aside here because it literally just happened. I had the Colbert Report on in the background while I was writing this and since my ears function normally I had the volume at a reasonable level- about 12 on my tv so you have a point of reference. My roommate, who was in the other room writing a paper, decided to have a bowl of cereal and join me but decided I wasn't watching the commercials loud enough, so he turned the volume up to 22 That's fucking unreasonable. You never touch a white man's television. And don't change the fucking channel. I'm sitting right here, just fucking ask me. Also, please stop sticking your hands down your pants when I'm in the same room. Adjusting is perfectly acceptable but anything over 5 seconds is playing with yourself. Not that you read this blog. Cause that's "unamurrican." Shithead.) Getting back on track the music from classic old school games was awesome. But the stuff they do now is just crazy. Every Final Fantasy game has like a composer and the music is unbelieveable. And the sound effects? I really feel like I shot all those hookers in GTA IV. I'm not share where they got the sound effects for that though. I like Old School music but they're not taking this category.

Advantage: Nu Skool

Final Verdict: The moment we've been waiting for since yesterday. But first, I must be honest, I delayed the verdict because I was hoping I could come up with some better categories. But you still enjoyed reading it right? So my final verdict is that I'm going to cop out here. They're both awesome in their own respects, but that's kind of a bitch move so I'm going to specify it. If you told me that I could only have one of these to play for the rest of my life, I'm going to pick Nu Skool because there's always new stuff coming out. But, if you told me I could only play my favorite games of all time, I would be picking the Old School. So, I strung you along for two days to tell you that.

Suckers.

-Slick

1 comment:

  1. hope your mother doesn't read your blog mmmmm
    maybe she should

    ReplyDelete