Monday, March 29, 2010

I, Robot is . . . [BONUS CONTENT!]

a pretty good movie starring Will Smith from 2004. I must apologize for reviewing a movie from 6 years ago as well as bumping Jon's "Burrito vs. Burrito" from the front spot but I have a self-imposed quota to fill. Sacrifices must be made.

Movie review. You may or not be familiar with the format. Slackers. First off, the category in which I would place this movie. If you forget the 6 categories go back to my review on "The Kingdom" and refresh your memories. Because I'm a busy man and have really important things to do. That's why I can't retype them. This movie falls into level 3: An "if you have nothing better to do." I liked it, but I didn't really like it. My reason for this will shortly be made clearer. Or more clear. Or mas claro. I'm not sure. Moving on, Question 1: Would I watch this movie again? Yeah, probably but I wouldn't go out of my way to watch it. Unlike A Knight's Tale. I know, that movie is pretty terrible but I love it. Question 2: Is this movie theater worthy? Again, I do not have this luxury, but I try to think of whether or not I would have been mad had I seen this movie in theaters. And really, I'm not sure. I probably would have been alright with it. Question 3: Does this movie make sense? It's about a futuristic society and robots . . . so yes? It's a tough call on a movie like this one. This review hasn't been helpful at all but I wrote it more so to make an observation about movies in general.

Movies these days are far too predictable. Even though there were some twists and turns along the way, I was never for a moment convinced it was going to end differently than it did. Take a movie like Swordfish for example. That movie sucked some serious wangchung but it gave you something different. Perhaps The Prestige is a better example because that movie didn't suck. In fact it's actually pretty awesome. If you take anything away from this incoherent rambling it should be that you absolutely need to watch that movie. And if you don't like it? Well then fuck you because you clearly have shitty taste in movies. The Prestige throws more wrenches at you than Patches O'Hoolihan. The point is, not enough movies really challenge the status quo. No ones willing to take a risk and it kind of sucks. Like Avatar. That movie was the biggest hyped thing I can think of and after 8 seconds you know how it's going to end. All I want is for a movie to surprise me. Is that too much to ask for? It's like asking for someone to make a commercial that isn't god awful.

Smoke #5: Enjoyment but a longing for something more. Two days, two posts.

-Slick




While I agree wholeheartedly with Slick's desire for both a unpredictable movie and a decent commercial (other than the ones I made up myself), I think I know why the movie thing ain't gonna happen. Also, I will probably be providing spoilers here, so consider yourself warned.

People are stupid. Maybe not everyone, but a lot of them. Somewhere in the 85-95% range I would say. They like stupid movies (see: every romantic comedy ever made). People like knowing that the male and female lead are going to meet, get romantically involved, overcome some sort of jackass obstacle (see: Hitch, which is one of very few tolerable romantic comedies and still incredibly formulaic), and then get together in the end. There should also be a montage in there somewhere. Movie producers love montages (see: the Rocky series, which is like 40 minutes of movie and the rest is montages). People are highly resistant to change. They are also highly resistant to thinking.

Even when someone comes along and does something different (see: The Sixth Sense), people either lie about it by saying they knew it the whole time or are so blown away that the same jackass keeps making the same type of movie over and over while declining in quality the whole time so people get sick of it anyways. (Seriously, what were those aliens thinking?)

Unfortunately, since the stupid people, being the majority, spend most of the money, we are going to continue to get stupid bullshit followed by stupid romantic comedy bullshit followed by action movie bullshit (with added absurdity) until movies stop being an entertainment medium. Then we'll probably get some new kind of formulaic interactive virtual bullshit.

As Ron White so aptly put it, you can't fix stupid.

-Jon

No comments:

Post a Comment