Sunday, March 14, 2010

Opa Opa Double Red Rock is. . .

one tasty brew. Although if you don't like their Red Rock Ale, chances are that you are not going to like this one. And even if you do like the Red Rock, you still may not because this one is, as the name suggests, about twice as strong.

Apparently the Greenfield area, despite being in Franklin County, is a hotbed of places that don't suck. For instance, The Hope and Olive is a delightful little restaurant with a good beer selection, and Cafe Martin has their fantastic bruschetta along with a bunch of other food that is good. Fine, Cafe Martin is actually in Shelburne Falls, but whatever. Franklin County is basically just one giant town to me anyways.

Even more awesome than these fine eating establishments is Ryan & Casey's, a giant package store like 4 minutes from Kathryn's house. She warned me not to be overwhelmed, but I was a little awestruck anyways. They had so many different kinds of beer there, including some that I think they just made up. Hooker Beer? Come on now.

They also were sponsoring (if that's the right word) a beer tasting by Opa-Opa. (Strange side note. According to the built-in spell checker here, the first time I wrote Opa it is misspelled, but the second time it is not. Weird stuff.) Woohoo! Free beer! I had previously tried most of the beers they had to offer, but not the elaborately named F15 Zeta Edition Double Red Rock. Ummm. . . right. I believe the Zeta refers to some kind of Alfa and Omega brewing specials they are doing because this is the 6th one. Also, they spell Alfa weird. I have no idea why it's F15.

So I gave it a try, then wandered around the giant store looking at beers and making a decision. Finally, I went with the growler of DRR because I got a free pint glass with it! I am a sucker for free things apparently.

Final verdict? I recommend it. It's like Red Rock, but with a way higher alcohol content, and there's nothing wrong with that!

-Jon

PS - I make no apologies for my shameless cross-linking between the 2 blogs. Self-promotion is the key to. . . something.

No comments:

Post a Comment